Today’s Economist has an article of interest about the allocations of Colorado River water. Most people know that the Law of the River decided several decades ago who gets the water rights. Things you may not know:
- Lake Mead is only 40 percent full.
- Nobody knows if the drought is temporary or permanent.
- The Law of the River apportions more water than there is in the river.
- Because of the falling water level in Lake Mead, Las Vegas is cutting a third intake through the rock below the water line that will be ready in 2014.
- In theory, seniority rules mean that the taps to Las Vegas would be shut completely before a single lettuce-grower in California’s Imperial County lost a drop.
Read the article here.